Bastien,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding option 1 or perhaps it's not clear. Are you saying
with that option, all it takes is a single DNS entry for "serviceprovider.com"
to service unlimited users? The interchanging between "bob" and "domain owner"
is a bit confusing in your gist. I think it would be beneficial to make it
clear what actions a service provider needs to do on behalf of their users vs
what a user w/ a domain needs to do.

I like the idea that a semi-technical user with any domain can do this without
setting up a web server, but I will say from my own personal dev experience, I
don't know a single dev that has ever programmatically set up thousands to
millions of DNS entries in real time. If the goal is to get devs to migrate
from LNURL to LNDNS and to migrate from bolt11 to bolt12, I'm afraid the hurdle
is going to get even bigger. So if I'm mistaken and option 1 just has a
one-time DNS entry that service all users, then please let me know. I like the
proposal otherwise.

Thank you,

Tony

On 11/17/23 3:08 AM, Bastien TEINTURIER wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Bastien,
>>
>> For completeness, would you be willing to demonstrate what it might look
>> like if it were bolt12 in the normal LNURL way? The concern is mostly what
>> you brought up with relying on DNS entries instead of a typical web server.
>> At scale, that would be much more difficult for LNURL service providers to
>> implement for their potentially thousands to millions of users.
>>
>> Something like Oblivious HTTP could be promising to remove the knowledge of
>> IP for some of the larger LNURL service providers.
>>
>> Tony
>>
>> On 11/16/23 7:51 AM, Bastien TEINTURIER wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning list,
>>>
>>> Most of you already know and love lightning addresses [1].
>>> I wanted to revisit that protocol, to see how we could improve it and
>>> fix its privacy drawbacks, while preserving the nice UX improvements
>>> that it brings.
>>>
>>> I have prepared a gist with three different designs that achieve those
>>> goals [2]. I'm attaching the contents of that gist below. I'd like to
>>> turn it into a bLIP once I collect enough feedback from the community.
>>>
>>> I don't think we should select and implement all three options. They
>>> show that we have a large enough design space, but I think we should
>>> aim for simplicity of implementation and deployment. My personal choice
>>> would be to do options 1 and 3: clients (mobile wallets) would first
>>> make a DNS request corresponding to option 3, and if that fails, they
>>> would fallback to option 1. Domain owners would implement only one of
>>> those two options, depending on their DNS capabilities.
>>>
>>> Curious to hear your thoughts!
>>>
>>> Many thanks to Rusty and Matt who reviewed early drafts of that gist.
>>>
>>> [1] https://lightningaddress.com/
>>> [2] https://gist.github.com/t-bast/78fd797a7da570d293a8663908d3339b
>>>
>>> # Lightning Address
>>>
>>> [Lightning Address](
>>> https://lightningaddress.com/
>>> ) is a very popular protocol that brings UX improvements that users love.
>>> We'd like to provide those UX benefits without its privacy and security
>>> drawbacks.
>>>
>>> ## Issues with the current lightning address protocol
>>>
>>> As described [here](
>>> https://github.com/andrerfneves/lightning-address/blob/master/README.md
>>> ), the lightning address protocol requires payment senders to make an HTTP
>>> request to the recipient's domain owner.
>>> This has some inconvenient side effects:
>>>
>>> 1. The payment sender reveals their IP address to the recipient's domain
>>> owner, who knows both the sender and the recipient.
>>> 2. The domain owner can swap invoices to steal some of the payment.
>>> 3. It introduces a dependency on DNS servers and the need for an HTTP stack
>>> on the sender side.
>>>
>>> We can do better and fix or mitigate some of these issues, without
>>> compromising on UX.
>>> We need two somewhat distinct mechanisms:
>>>
>>> 1. A way to privately obtain the `node_id` associated with a given domain.
>>> 2. A way to privately contact that domain to obtain the recipient's payment

>>> Bastien