On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Trevor Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Trevor, you wrote Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:26 PM
>

>  On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Werner LEMBERG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>  > Please don't change c[ ]!
>>>
>>> Do you really mean that you've used, say,
>>>
>>>  a b[] c
>>>
>>> within your score?  Currently, this is an undocumented feature, so you
>>> are use something from the darker corners of lilypond...
>>>

>>>  Darker corners, indeed.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> The two snippets attached here come from the commission I just finished up
>> in February ...
>>
>> In general I'm using the two-sided nibs or stubs to indicate a lone note
>> (ie, preceded and followed by a rest) sitting within a governing beam.
>> (100%
>> of the beaming in my scores like this is manual.)
>>
>> Maybe a quick mention of c[ ] in the manual could alert other modern(ist)
>> composers of the availability of the feature?
>>

> Happy to do so.  Could you please provide a minimal snippet to show
> how this might be used in practice?  The examples you attached are
> too complex to illustrate the point, and the simplistic examples I've tried
> don't look good.

OK, great!

Maybe something like this?

%%%%%%% FLAT FLAGS & BEAM NIBS %%%%%

Flat flags on lone notes and beam nibs at the ends of beamed figures are
both possible with a combination of stemLeftBeamCount, stemRightBeamCount
and paired [ ] beam indicators.

For right-pointing flat flags on lone notes, use paired [ ] beam indicators
and set stemRightBeamCount to zero.

  \new RhythmicStaff {
    \set stemRightBeamCount = #0
    c'16 [ ]
    r8.
  }

For left-pointing flat flags, set stemRightBeamCount instead.

  \new RythmicStaff {
    r8.
    \set stemRightBeamCount = #0
    c'16 [ ]
  }

For right-pointing nibs at the end of a run of beamed notes, set
stemRightBeamCount to a positive value. And for left-pointing nibs at the
start of a run of beamed notes, set  stemLeftBeamCount instead.

  \new RhythmicStaff {
    c'16
    c'16
    \set stemRightBeamCount = #2
    c'16
    r16
    r16
    \set stemLeftBeamCount = #2
    c'16
    c'16
    c'16
  }

Sometimes it may make sense for a lone note surrounded by rests to carry
both a left- and right-pointing flat flag. Do this with paired [ ] beam
indicators alone.

  \new RhythmicStaff {
     c'16
     c'16
     \set stemRightBeamCount = #2
     c'16
     r16
     c'16 [ ]
     r16
     \set stemLeftBeamCount = #2
     c'16
     c'16
  }

%%%%%%%%%

Writing these, I realize that we get more realistic examples with paired [ ]
beam indicators combined with stemLeftBeamCount / stemRightBeamCount. So the
examples here introduce both.

Do these help?

--
Trevor Bača