>> I worked on this yesterday. I chose '--' instead of '\-'. The
>> result is great (see attached).

Mhmm.  Normally, in plain text, even in non-TeX related contexts, `--'
means an en-dash or em-dash.  I *much* prefer `\-'.

> Maybe it could work like -- in lyrics?  I mean, it would be nice to
> be able to write a variable
> someText = { some de -- mon -- stra -- tion text, hoo -- ray! }
> and then either use it as lyrics, or use it as a markup with
> hyphenation.  What do you think?

I don't like it, since it is extremely unnatural to me if applied to
longer texts.  Instead, I would prefer a simple Scheme function which
converts `foo -- bar' into `foo\-bar' if desired.

   Werner