Don't forget that the installation directory .../share/lilypond/1.x.x/ already
is a texmf tree with a dvips/ directory for the lilypond.map file. This is the
place to put also the music-drawing-routines.ps file.
Werner, when you looked at the texmf.cnf files in the different distributions,
was $TEXMF/dvips/ always included in TEXPSHEADERS? In that case,
I find it obvious to install the file in the dvips/ directory instead of tex/.
Also, an alternative is to change the setting of TEXPSHEADERS, not
by changing in the texmf.cnf file but by simply setting the environment
variable TEXPSHEADERS to "$PREFIX/share/lilypond/1.x.x/tex/:"
if we really want to keep the current installation directory for the file.
I'd prefer to put the file at a place in the Lilypond texmf tree where it
is found by all(?) distributions without having to set extra environment
variables.

  /Mats