Rutger - I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of your niff2ly filter.

I use SmartScore from MusicTek.  This one is associated with Finale, not Sibelius.

The recognition can be reasonably good - if you are lucky (95%+ on good quality
printing, and I actually had
one at 100%).  Recognizes lyrics moderately well, poor on articulations.  Depending on
version, handles '2 to
unlimited' voices, but I find it gets confused - a lot - keeping multiple voices
straight on a single staff.
Doesn't seem to handle staff-switching.  Does a good job on (piano) chords.  One
version apparently recognizes
tabulature (no experience).

Difficulty comes in the transfer to Lilypond - internal format (enf), MIDI or NIFF 4 &
6a or Finale (fin)
Since I ended up primarily doing one-voice-at-a-time midi & midi2ly (time skew bug, 6
vocal + piano voices),
and had a deadline, this was not necessarily a pleasant experience.

/Hans