Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

window which usually tells you either that the package has installed successfully or that some dependencies have not been met, etc.

since my last message, i have finally been successful in getting lilypond 1.8.0-1 running on RedHat 9, as follows:
1. installed guile-1.6.4-7.1.i386.rpm using command-line rpm (no problems there)
2. installed lilypond-1.8.0-1.i386.rpm using command-line rpm (no problems)
3. installed lilypond-documentation-1.8.0-1.i386.rpm using command-line rpm (no problems)
4. when running ly2dvi, got dynamic link error message (can't find libguile-srfi-srfi-13-14-v-1.so)
5. installed guile-devel-1.6.4-7.1.i386.rpm to provide the .so file
6. ly2dvi runs fine

it looks like lilypond is dynamically linked and requires guile-devel, but that dependency is not required by the lilypond rpm. perhaps that needs to be fixed. is this a correct diagnosis, or is something else going on here?

It is a packaging error in RedHat. The .so file should be in guile
not guile-devel. Thanks for getting to the bottom of this; I'll file a
bugreport at redhat.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen

excellent --- glad to help!