On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM, David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Phil Holmes <m...@philholmes.net> wrote:
>
>>  Perhaps something like the attached image?  FWIW when I set these,
>> under _no circumstances_ do I try to replicate the non-continuous staff
>> lines.
>>
>> --
>> Phil Holmes

Of course, this following simple example reveals the flaws right away!

 \version "2.19.16"

\new Staff <<
  \repeat unfold 8 {
    \startStaff s4 \stopStaff
  }
  {
    \override Staff.StaffSymbol.stencil =
    #(lambda (grob)
       (let ((st (ly:staff-symbol::print grob)))
         (ly:stencil-scale st 0.95 1)))
    a4 a a a
    a4 a a a
  }

%%%
How to deal with symbols that happen at the same time but are separated
horizontally--for example, a clef and a time signature?

DN