I had a similar problem when managing different spread of text in
different stanzas of a song. Maybe the following solution (which does
not produce the correct midi-output!) is appropriate for you? - for me
it looks like a bit of cheating, but it seems to work.

\version "2.19.22"

verseOne = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1." This is the first al -- ter
-- na -- tive }

verseTwo = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "2." And this is the se -- cond one }

melodyOne = \relative c'' {

c4 d e f

f e d c

}

melodyTwo = \relative c'' {

%make voice effectively invisible

\override Slur.transparent = ##t

\override Stem.transparent = ##t

\override Dots.transparent = ##t

\override Beam.transparent = ##t

\override NoteHead.transparent = ##t

\voiceTwo

r4 d e f

f e d c

}

\score {

\new Staff <<

\new Voice = "first" { \repeat volta 2 { \melodyOne } }

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "first" { \verseOne }

\new Voice = "second" { \voiceTwo \melodyTwo }

\new Lyrics \lyricsto "second" { \verseTwo }

}

Instead of manually overriding the visibility of the notes you can use
\hideNotes after the rest in verseTwo, too.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan