Am 21.02.2016 um 13:21 schrieb Malte Meyn:
You should either install as root (using sudo):

cd PATH-TO-DOWNLOAD-DIRECTORY
sudo sh lilypond-2.18.2-OS-TYPE.sh

Advantage: You (and all other users) can start lilypond directly from terminal etc. without changing PATH/make it known to Frescobaldi, …

or specify another installation directory (f. e. ~/LP2.18.2 instead of ~):

cd PATH-TO-DOWNLOAD-DIRECTORY
sh lilypond-2.18.2-OS-TYPE.sh --prefix ~/LP2.18.2

Advantage: You can install several different versions of LilyPond.

I use this second method: I’ve installed five different versions and make all of them known to Frescobaldi; Frescobaldi will then choose the used version according to the \version statement.