Late to the party, but most Linux distros will allow you to add
repositories/packages for more-recent versions: on gentoo, you can even use
a "live" version that installs from git. This has the occasional
consequence of lilypond reporting itself as a version that isn't officially
released yet. So if you want to be WICKED HARDCORE, you can certainly
install newer versions. Ubuntu, iirc, allows you to add repositories, and I
think (?) there's one out there for more-recent lilypond.

Cheers,