Graham,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Graham King-4 [via Lilypond] <
ml-node+s1069038n188622...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Following on from an earlier thread[1], I have a snippet, below, that uses
> a repeat to create a "D.C. al fine" structure.
>
> The snippet throws two warnings: "cannot end volta spanner" that appear to
> be caused by the "\set Score.repeatCommands" line.
>
> Whilst I could just bludgeon these unwelcome messages with
> ly:expect-warning, the conscientious bit of me is asking the list whether
> they can be eliminated without hurting lilypond's feelings...
>
> \version "2.19.35"
>
> \repeat volta 2 {
>   c''1
>   \bar "|."
>   \mark "Fine"
> }
> \alternative {
>   {
>     % Treat the "B" section as a first-time bar, but
>     % suppress the "|1." label:
>     \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
>     c''1
>     \bar "||"
>     \mark "D.C."
>   }
>   { } % There is no "second-time bar".
> }

Some quick testing showed that using

\omit Score.VoltaBracket

instead of

\set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))

did the same thing without the warnings. I can't speak for how this would
affect scores outside your specific example, though.

HTH,
Abraham