Hi everyone,

In the attached MWE, I'm somehow having trouble getting the initial `^\markup a` to be placed /above/ the horizontal bracket, even though all future instances of this markup are placed above the bracket no problem. It seems so simple; I feel a little silly just asking. The commented out override does the trick, but it brings up some other undesirable issues that I'd rather not deal with. Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

Sam
\version "2.19.40"

\language english

\layout {
  \context {
    \Voice
    \consists "Horizontal_bracket_engraver"

\relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \override HorizontalBracket.direction = #UP
  \override Score.BarNumber #'break-align-symbols =
    #'(staff-bar clef)

  \override HorizontalBracket.outside-staff-priority = #1
  % \override TextScript.avoid-slur = #'inside
  g2\(\startGroup^\markup a g4. g8 | % this markup should be above the bracket
  ef'2. d4 c2 g |
  af1\)->\stopGroup |
  g2\(\startGroup^\markup a' g4. g8 |
  ef'2. d4 |