Am 26.07.2016 um 00:31 schrieb David Wright:
 > On Mon 25 Jul 2016 at 21:21:26 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
 >> David Wright  writes:
 >>
 >>> I like being able to type \time 2,2,2,2 8/8
 >>> but is there a way to specify the same beaming pattern
 >>> as briefly when it's really 4/4, so I don't get groups
 >>> of four quavers?
 >> I have no idea what you mean with "when it's really 4/4". Is the meter
 >> printed as 4/4? Or as 8/8 but it should be beamed like 4/4?
 >>
 >> Could you write some actual code and tell what is wrong with it? Or
 >> even better: when you state "as briefly" that implies that there is a
 >> way to write it verbosely that you know of. How about showing the
 >> verbose code that actually does what you want so that one has a chance
 >> at guessing just _what_ effect you would have wished to express more
 >> succinctly?
 > Happy to oblige. I've used a "desired" beaming pattern of 2,2,4 in this
 > example just to make it obvious when I'm controlling it and when I'm not.
 >
 > After the LP defaults, the third example shows the ease which which I
 > can specify the beaming pattern within the elegant new \time
 > command when the time signature is in quavers. But I would like the
 > same beaming pattern when the time signature is in crochets, and
 > I just wondered if there's a short way of setting it like the first
 > method illustrated in NM 1.2.3, or do I have to set it with the
 > longer versions in examples 5 and 6?

 Well, if it's just about having 8th notes in 4/4 time beamed 2,2,2,2
 then all you have to do is:

 \time 4/4
 \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()

 since in 4/4 there is an exception rule in place for 8th notes (you can
 look the default exceptions up in scm/time-signature-settings.scm).

 Else: using the optional argument for \time is equivalent to setting
 beamStructure afterwards, which is measured in multiples of baseMoment.
 So I figure it would be:

 \time 1,1,2 4/4
 \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()

 HTH, Simon