---------- Forwarded message ----------

> From: Jonas Daverio <daverio.jo...@gmail.com>
> To: lilypond-user@gnu.org
> Subject: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?
> That may seem like a stupid question, but I've been using LilyPond with
> Frescobaldi for a year and a half, but I start to ask myself if it is as
> efficient as if I had used another tool like Musescore.
>
> I explain: I don't have at all a powerful computer, and I think that an
> essential feature that I have to have to compose efficiently is to see what
> I've written in real-time. There is such a feature in Frescobaldi name
> "continuous engraving" (or something like that, my version is not in
> English), but on my slow computer and with a big project such as a 20-pages
> quartet or symphony, it takes at least 40 to 50 seconds to render.
>
> In addition, it would be great to hear the music out of the midi file by
> clicking on the preview (like on almost every WYSIWYG music software) but
> Frescobaldi's midi player is pretty useless for that.
>
> I'm not saying that LilyPond and Frescobaldi are bad, it's probably just
> me who don't know the right tools or the right way to use them. I'm asking
> to find a way to make my workflow more convenient to compose.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

I find that, for my scores that consist of about a dozen staves, that 32
bars or so is the largest chunk that I like to work on (for PDF, since MIDI
compilation is much faster).

I use a tag structure to switch on which segments of the piece I want to
see.  It requires a bit of setup, so it is not fun to impose on something
already in existence.

For previewing MIDI, I import the MIDI file into Logic.  Not an automatic
process, but  not too bad.

\version "2.19.15"

melodyChorusOne = \relative { \mark "Chorus 1" c''1 1 1 1 \bar "||" }
melodyChorusTwo = \relative { \mark "Chorus 2" d''1 1 1 1 \bar "|." }

melody = {
    \tag #'ChorusOne { \melodyChorusOne }
    \tag #'ChorusTwo { \melodyChorusTwo }
}

harmonyChorusOne = \relative { e'1 1 1 1 }
harmonyChorusTwo = \relative { b'1 1 1 1 }

harmony = {
    \tag #'ChorusOne { \harmonyChorusOne }
    \tag #'ChorusTwo { \harmonyChorusTwo }
}

%  Full Score
\score {

    \keepWithTag #'(

        %  Formatting one tag per line allows you to easily comment-in/out
a segment
        ChorusOne
        ChorusTwo
        %ChorusThree

        %  In case you do have differing content between PDF and MIDI,
        %  like fermatas, tempo changes and repeats
        %  you can add a tag pair PDF/MIDI to distinguish between them
        PDF

    ) <<
        \melody
        \harmony

    \layout {}

    %  The MIDI version can contain a different set of segments than the PDF
    \keepWithTag #'(
        MIDI
        ChorusOne
        ChorusTwo
        ChorusThree
    ) <<
        \melody
        \harmony

   \midi {}
}

%  Just 2nd Chorus
\score {
    \keepWithTag #'(
        PDF
        %ChorusOne
        ChorusTwo
        %ChorusThree
    ) <<
         \melody
         \harmony

    \layout {}
}

HTH,

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
ela...@flaminghakama.com
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist