Hi foxfanfare,

First of all welcome to the Lilypond world! AFAIK you would create a
style-sheet by creating a file with a layout block that contains the
settings for your house-style, and then you include that file in all the
projects where that house-style is needed. That's the easy part. Filling it
with the proper settings is the tough part. Finding the proper parameter to
tweak can be a challenge, don't hesitate to write to the list with an
example of the output you are getting and what you wish you were getting.
It'll take some time an effort but you'll get there!

Also, there are many .ly files available in the Mutopia Project
<http://www.mutopiaproject.org/>. You can search a few that has notation
that interests you and how it was achieved.

Hope that helps!
Stéfano