> Hi :)
>
> In case you didn't read my original post:
>
> I am creating a score for a piece of H. Schütz with Lilypond 2.2.5
> (with Fink on Mac). When setting this old kind of music it is often
> better to not use a standard Choirstaff, but to use the bar lines only
> between the bars. As far as I know this is quite common in late
> renaissance and early baroque vocal music.
>
> So I used a StaffGroup and set the Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t.
> Since I needed repeat signs, I had to be able to put the transparency
> off to avoid losing the repeat signs themselves.
> The result: I have a part that shows the bar lines between the staves
> only, except for the repeat signs.
> One detail: for the repeat signs I used \bar ":|" instead of \repeat
> volta. It doesn't seem to make a difference for this problem though.
>
> One problem remains: the lyrics are running into the bar lines. In the
> documentation I found that adding the Bar_engraver to the Lyrics
> context would avoid this. This works, but it adds barlines below the
> last staff and prints the repeat sign : -- : on the Lyrics height.
> Trying to avoid that, I used \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t, but
> this leaves a hole in the vertical repeat bar line.
>
> Any idea how to be able to avoid lyric-bar line-collisions without
> having to nudge each lyric into the right position?
>
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> greets
>
> Maurits

If you use

 \set Score.defaultBarType = ""

as in the attached example you don't need to do all the

 \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t

And if you add the

 \override SpanBar #'glyph = #"|"

you don't get the "|:" in the span bar.

I have no solution for the lyrics problem.
How do you "nudge" the lyrics?

===

My personal preference is to use GroupStaff and no bar lines alt.

 \set Score.defaultBarType = ":"

I find the span bar / mensurstrich ugly and of not that much help
since a \breve etc. can span over the span bar and in that way the
singer is fooled by the span bar. And it gets in the way of the
lyrics.

Regards,
/Karl

\version "2.4.2"
#(set-global-staff-size 15)
sca = {
  \override Score.BarNumber  #'padding = #2
%  \set Score.defaultBarType = ":"
  \set Score.defaultBarType = ""
  \override Score.RehearsalMark  #'print-function = #(make-stencil-boxer 0.15
0.3 0.3 Text_interface::print)
%  \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-letters
  \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-numbers
  \override Score.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
%  \set Score.skipBars = ##t
}

%pipeSymbol = \bar ":"

sta = {
%  \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
}

clefcs = { \clef treble }
clefca = { \clef treble }
clefct = { \clef "treble_8" }
clefcb = { \clef bass }

keyBG = {
 \key bes \major
 \time 2/2
 \mark #33
 \set Score.currentBarNumber = #1
}

% Choir, soprano
csBG = \relative c'' {
 d4 d d8( es) f4 |
 d2 r4 d |
\bar "|:"
 d4 d d e |
 f4 f2 f4 |
\bar ":|:"
 g4 g g8( d) d4 |
 es2 r4 d8( es) |
 f4 es8( d) d4. c8 |
 c4 c2 r4 |
 r2 r4 f8( es) |
 d8( c) bes( a) g4 g'8( f) |
 \bar ":|"
}
BGb = \lyricmode {
 E -- lis -- sa dies to -- night,
 And Car -- thage flames to -- mor -- row!
}
BGa = \lyricmode {
% De --
 struc -- tion's our de -- light,
 De -- ligth our great -- est sor -- row;
 \BGb
}
lcsBG = \lyricmode {
 \BGa
 Ho ho ho ho!
 ho
}
% Choir, alto
caBG = \relative g'  {
 bes4 bes bes a |
 bes2 r4 bes |
 bes4 bes bes bes |
 a4 a2 f4 |
 f4 d g g |
 g2 r4 g |
 as4 as g4. g8 |
 es4 c2 es8( d) |
 c8( bes) a( g) f f( g a) |
 bes2 r8 g( a bes) |
}
lcaBG = \lyricmode {
 \BGa
 Ho ho ho ho ho ho!
 ho
}
% Choir, tenor
ctBG = \relative c'  {
 f4 f f f |
 f2 r4 f |
 f f g g |
 f4 f2 d4 |
 d4 d es8( b) b4 |
 c2 r4 g |
 c4 c b4. c8 |
 c4 c2 r4 |
 r2 r4 d8( c) |
 bes8( a) g( f) es4 es'8( d) |
}
lctBG = \lyricmode {
 \BGa
 Ho ho ho ho!
 ho
}
% Choir, bass
cbBG = \relative f   {
 bes4 bes bes f |
 bes2 r4 bes |
 bes4 bes g g |
 d'4 d2 d4 |
 b4 b g g |
 c2 r4 bes |
 as4 f g4. g8 |
 c,4 c2 c'8( bes) |
 a8( g) f( es) d2 |
 r8 bes8( c d) es2 |
}
lcbBG = \lyricmode {
 \BGa
 Ho ho ho ho!
 ho ho!
}

\score {
  <<
    \sca
    \new StaffGroup
%    \new ChoirStaff
    \with {
%      \override BarLine #'glyph = #""
      \override SpanBar #'glyph = #"|"
    }
    <<
      \new Staff \context Voice = vcsBG {
        \sta
        { \keyBG \clefcs \csBG }
      }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto vcsBG \lcsBG

      \new Staff \context Voice = vcaBG {
        \sta
        { \keyBG \clefca \caBG }
      }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto vcaBG \lcaBG

      \new Staff \context Voice = vctBG {
        \sta
        { \keyBG \clefct \ctBG }
      }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto vctBG \lctBG

      \new Staff \context Voice = vcbBG {
        \sta
%       \override Staff.SpanBar #'transparent = ##t
        { \keyBG \clefcb \cbBG }
      }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto vcbBG {
%       \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t
        \lcbBG }

  \layout  {
    raggedright = ##t
%    \context {
%      \Staff
%      \override BarLine #'glyph = #":"
%    }
%    \context {
%      \Lyrics
%      \consists Bar_engraver
%     %% need procedure, since lyrics doesn't have a staff_sym engraver.
%      \override BarLine #'glyph = #"|"
%      \override BarLine #'bar-size-procedure = #(lambda (x) 5.0)
%    }