On 14 Jul 2021, at 09:02, Knut Petersen <knut_peter...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>

>>> Mac OS X 10.4–10.14, Intel x86 CPU, 32 bit
>
>> I’m currently using a late-2012 27” iMac with macOS Catalina 10.15.7, but
>> this can’t be upgraded to macOS Big Sur, and a recent whiff of overheated
>> circuit-board when I leant over the back of my monitor prompted me to order
>> a replacement which is due to arrive today.
>>
>> I want to make an orderly transition of all my applications and data to the
>> new computer, but would be happy to try a quick installation of lilypond on
>> a virgin machine running MacOS 11 if that would help you.
>

> Only installers for the x86 32-bit MacOS versions 10.4 to 10.14 are produced
> using GUB. Users of those versions of MacOS can help with a test.
>
> It's clear that MacOS 11 is not within that range. Neither MacOS "Catalina"
> nor "Big Sur" are supported by the linked installation archive.
>
> Knut

Hi, Knut.

Now that I’ve settled in to my new iMac (64-bit, X86 processor, Mac OS 11,5.1)
I’ve got all my usual utilities running in the new environment except lilypond
and Frescobaldi.

Pre-compiled binaries for this computer aren’t available, so I’ve cloned the
source code into my ~/git_stuff directory as follows...

cd ~/git_stuff
git clone https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond
cd lilypond

… but I get stuck when running autogen.sh, which generates the output I’ve
enclosed in ******

******
Running autoconf ...
    Warning: about to run `configure' without arguments.
    arguments on the `autogen.sh' command line
    will be passed to `configure'.

    Invoke with --noconfigure to skip configure step.
Running ./configure ...
checking build system type... x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0
checking host system type... x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0
checking for gmake... gmake
checking for find... find
checking for tar... tar
checking for python... python3
checking python3 version... 3.8.5
checking for python3... /usr/local/bin/python3
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking whether compiler understands -pipe... yes
checking for fc-list... fc-list
checking for TeX Gyre fonts OTF files... Fontconfig error:
"/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2: XML or text
declaration not at start of entity
no
checking for URW++ OTF files... Fontconfig error:
"/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2: XML or text
declaration not at start of entity
no
checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python3
checking /usr/local/bin/python3 version... 3.8.5
checking for /usr/local/bin/python3... (cached) /usr/local/bin/python3
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for bison... bison
checking bison version... 3.4.1
checking for flex... flex
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: in `/Users/michaelhendry/git_stuff/lilypond':
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details
******

Am I naive to think this should “just work”?

Regards,

Michael