Thank you all for your help.

I have the development version of Lilypond 2.23.6 installed.
I have Frescobaldi 3.1.3 installed.
Frescobaldi launches fine.
I ran the the following Lilypond test code (this used to be the original
minimal input):

{
  c' e' g' e'
}

Frescobaldi choked and returned an error message.

I will take it up with Frescobaldi support. I reproduce the error message
below my signature in case the Lilypond Development Team should know about
it.

Thank you all again for your detailed and helpful replies. I am looking
forward to engraving with Lilypond again.

Kind regards

Jeremiah

*Frescobaldi Error Report*

Traceback (most recent call last):

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py",
line 141, in engraveRunner

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py",
line 145, in engravePreview

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py",
line 200, in engrave

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py",
line 252, in runJob

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/job/manager.py",
line 61, in start_job

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/job/__init__.py",
line 211, in start

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/job/lilypond.py",
line 176, in configure_command

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/lilypondinfo.py",
line 138, in wait

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 253, in start

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 261, in checkstart

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 253, in start

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 264, in checkstart

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 278, in run

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 189, in set

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/signals.py",
line 191, in emit

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/signals.py",
line 308, in call

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 264, in checkstart

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/cachedproperty.py",
line 276, in run

File
"/Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.9/frescobaldi_app/lilypondinfo.py",
line 306, in frommacports

TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'bool' and 'str'