Here is a copy of my message to Jacopo. I seem to forget to reply all!

Hi everyone,
Yes music notation is strictly pre-cartesian. Notice the durational
representation of musical time requires all these dots, ties, and prolation
brackets to get anything that isn't just powers of 2. And notes don't have
true "Stop-offsets" visually displayed on the score. But the results we get
by coercing this ancient notation to behave proportionally is actually very
successful and I've never seen a great argument against it other than it
certainly does take up a lot of space. I'll give myself away a little early
in this message by giving reference to Abjad's definition of assignability:

"Western notation makes it easy to notate notes, rests and chords with
durations like 1/4 and 3/16. But notating notes, rests and chords with
durations like 1/3 can only be done with recourse to tuplets or ties. Abjad
formalizes the difference between durations like 1/4 and 1/5 in the concept
of assignability: a duration n/d is assignable when and only when numerator
n is of the form 2**i-2**j with i>j and denominator d is of the form 2**v.
In this definition i must be a positive integer, and j and v must be
nonnegative integers. Assignability is important because it explains why
you can set the duration of any note, rest or chord to 1/4 or 7/4 but never
to 1/5 or 7/5."

Yes, I’m part of the Abjad family! As long as, I assume, the request is for
a way to compose while thinking in clock-time the solution would be the
abjad-ext-nauert library (https://github.com/Abjad/abjad-ext-nauert). It is
a quantization library based on Paul Nauert’s paper on Q-grids. The library
was originally written by Josiah Oberholtzer and recently refactored by Tsz
Kiu Pang after languishing for some time. I have never used the quantizer
so I’m no help in that regard, however the documentation can be found here:
https://abjad.github.io/api/abjadext/nauert/index.html
regards,
gr evans

p.s. I hope I'm not too bold in assuming you are not already composing with
abjad. I suppose that's only my assumption because your question was
fielded to the lilypond email list rather than the abjad list. I
just wanted to give a warning that it will likely not be a simple task to
use the quantizer without commiting to learning how to use the API (and by
extension the Python language) at large.

--
gregory rowland evans
http://www.gregoryrowlandevans.com