On 10 Apr 2023, at 23:13, Jean Abou Samra <j...@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Le lundi 10 avril 2023 à 22:59 +0100, Michael Hendry a écrit :
>
>> Thanks, Jean,
>>
>> This is what’s in ~.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf:
>>

> That definitely does not look like a valid config file. It has a duplicate
> XML declaration, and the <dir> element should not be empty. Not sure what
> software left this borked config file on this computer.
>
> I would just remove it, it's not doing anything apart from triggering errors
> AFAICS.

I’ve deleted this file, with no apparent consequences.

>>> You should always (yes, always) run convert-ly before trying old scores on
>>> new versions. It will automatically fix the syntax of your file to be
>>> compatible with the new version of LilyPond. Developers (like me) put awful
>>> amounts of efforts into making it work well. It's a pity not to use that.
>>> In Frescobaldi, that's in Tools > Update with convert-ly.
>>>
>> I’ve tried that on these old files, but it doesn’t resolve the problem.
>>
> Are you sure that the 2.23.5 → 2.23.6 conversion step was run properly?
>
> My guess is that you updated the \version number before running convert-ly.
> It detects the version to upgrade from using the version statement, so you
> should not do that, but instead let convert-ly change the version for you.
>
> In the log from convert-ly that Frescobaldi shows you, you should see
> "2.23.6" among the list of conversions that were run.
>
> Another possibility is that you have a use of “markFormatter” in an include
> file and you forgot to convert that one.

That was the problem - I hadn’t run convert-ly on all of the include files.

I’m left with only one error when trying to compile my leadsheets:

fatal error: cannot find font: `lilyjazz-11’

I’ll obviously have to reinstall the jazz fonts.

Thanks again for your help,

Michael