On Sun 09 Jul 2023 at 10:53:58 (-0400), msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023, David Wright wrote:
>
> > players. But that's the problem here. When two real voices happen on
> > the same note, the result doesn't sound like one louder voice, yet
> > that's the effect you get from MIDI,ยน where the "two" voices are
>
> Not on *my* MIDI synthesizer.  Two notes are two notes!  I'm inclined to
> be concerned by this because I do a lot of doubling of notes between
> different MIDI channels.  Each channel plays on a different patch, or in a
> separate monophonic recording run on the same patch, and a doubled note is
> quite different from a louder note.

That may explain why you asked whether it was a problem. It is,
but perhaps only with certain devices (like the poor snipped PCs).
Even there, it could depend on the specific software involved.

> If LilyPond were to start automatically deleting notes because someone
> think's it's a bug for unisons to exist between MIDI tracks, it would make
> the pile of workarounds I already need to use to get decent MIDI out of
> LilyPond, that much worse.

That's your terminology, not mine. I have no idea what LP's actions
are when two voices play the same note, partcombined or not, nor
how difficult it would be to make LP automatically delete particular
notes upon instructions to do so.

If the problem was of sufficient importance to me, I'd attack it
in a completely different way, by postprocessing the MIDI output.

Cheers,
David.