On Sun, Jul 9, 2023 at 7:54 AM <msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023, David Wright wrote:
>
> > players. But that's the problem here. When two real voices happen on
> > the same note, the result doesn't sound like one louder voice, yet
> > that's the effect you get from MIDI,¹ where the "two" voices are
>
> Not on *my* MIDI synthesizer.  Two notes are two notes!  I'm inclined to
> be concerned by this because I do a lot of doubling of notes between
> different MIDI channels.  Each channel plays on a different patch, or in a
> separate monophonic recording run on the same patch, and a doubled note is
> quite different from a louder note.
>
> If LilyPond were to start automatically deleting notes because someone
> think's it's a bug for unisons to exist between MIDI tracks, it would make
> the pile of workarounds I already need to use to get decent MIDI out of
> LilyPond, that much worse.

Well, I didn't say it was a bug, and surely two MIDI tracks should normally
play two notes, especially if they are different instruments.  But I'm
talking about a specific piano performance technique.  When two voices
(hands) have the same note written, the pianist doesn't play the same note
with both hands.  Instead they pick a hand to play the note and leave the
note out of the other hand.  This is why I suggested that the MIDI
performer could ignore \parenthesize notes.  Would this create a pile of
workarounds for you?

--
Knute Snortum