> I'm trying to use the `book-first-page` scheme function to write the first
> page to a file in order to do some automated score processing. `book-first-
> page` takes the layout and props arguments, however, I'm having a hard time
> wrapping my head around accessing the layout and props properties without
> using a \markup command.
>
> Does anyone have any guidance on this and/or a better way to get the first
> page programmatically. Thank you!

By "write the first page", do you mean "write the first page as a PDF" or
similar, or "write the page number of the first page"? Because book-first-page
merely returns the *number* of the first page of the book.

Could you explain what you're trying to do? The answer largely depends on what
you actual goal is.