From: Michael Werner <reznae...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2024 12:41 PM
To: Matthew Pierce <pierce...@hotmail.com>
Cc: lilypond-user@gnu.org <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: \after syntax?

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 10:53 AM Matthew Pierce
<pierce...@hotmail.com<mailto:pierce...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
Hello all,

For hairpin positioning within a whole note, the Manual gives the syntax

\relative {
    \after 2 \< c'1
}

Is there an effective \after syntax for hairpin positioning within NON-whole
notes, such as  the second note in this (intuitive but) nonviable expression?

  \relative {
    \after 2 \< c'4 2.
  }

CONTEXT: I need to place an \espressivo-shaped, double-hairpin swell underneath
a dotted half note. Also, I need it to be stretchable, so that I can
horizontally align it with the other, more active parts/staffs in my orchestral
score.

To emulate an \espressivo using actual dynamics by way of the \after function:

\version "2.25.13"

musA = \relative c' {
  a'4 \after 8*3 \>  a2.\< a2\! a2
}

musB = \relative c' {
  a'4 \after 4. \> \after 2. \! a2.\< a2 a2
}

musC = \relative c' {
  a'4 \after 4. \> a2.\< <>\! a2 a2
}

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \new Voice {
      \musA
} } }

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \new Voice {
      \musB
} } }

\score {
  \new Staff {
    \new Voice {
      \musC
} } }

will produce:

[image.png]

Three different ways of accomplishing the same thing. The first showing that
you can indeed use scaling in the \after function (i.e. the 8*3 meaning 3 8th
notes worth) and terminating the decrescendo on the following note. The second
using \after to do the termination.  The third uses the empty chord construct
(i.e. the <> ) to attach the termination to. You are, of course, free to mix
and match whichever method suits you.
--
Michael