I include my code below - this is as far as I got before discovering
the problem.  Jakob, I don't seeing the code will help: if there were a
significant problem with it, then normally Lilypond would report
warnings and errors upon compilation.  But as I said, it reports
nothing!

And yes, Hans, I was definitely using a capital 'V', and I also tried
other versions such as 'lilypond -l DEBUG Cloud/LilyPond/file.ly', with
the same result every time: nothing gets compiled, and no anomalies are
reported.

Here is the file so far:

\version "2.24.1"
\language "english"