William,

Thanks.  I agree that the barcheck warning message is cryptic.  It appears
that this issue happens when the lyric is attached to notes that are tied
across a measure boundary.  Unfortunately I can't change the third measure
- that motif from my simple example is used frequently in the pieces I am
working on at the moment.  It's a catch-22.  I start ignoring the barcheck
warnings because of the lyrics that cross measure boundaries and then miss
the legit warnings from where I've messed up the lyrics.  The good news is
that even with the warnings, the output is exactly what I need it to be.

Thanks
 -steve