On 2 May 2024, at 19:08, Knute Snortum <ksnor...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 8:04 AM Pierre-Luc Gauthier <p.luc.gauth...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rambling here :

So, I *love* the simplicity and elegance of the \after command and I
am using it pretty much everywhere.

{
  <>(
  <>\<
  \after 2 \>
  \after 16*15 )
  \after 16*15 \!
  \repeat unfold 8 {e''16 d''} |
}

and since then I often end up doing head math to figure out what I
must add to \after for it to end up e.g. an 8th *before* the end of
the _expression_. In the above example it is quite easy :
a 16th before the end is... 16*#(- 16 1).

So what about a \beforeLast command that would do sort of the \after
job but starting from the end of the _expression_ rather from the start
?
e.g. :
\beforeLast 16 \!

Perhaps I'm not getting the need for this command as you could using an empty chord at the end of the repeat to do the same thing:

{
  <>(\<
  \after 2 \>
  \repeat unfold 8 {e''16 d''} <>)\!|
}

To my understanding that would put the \! on the last unfolded d''. In my reading the intention of OP is to put the \! on the last unfolded e''

Maybe there are other situations where \beforeLast would be useful?

--
Knute Snortum