Hi Federico,

> However, it seems that both solutions run along similar lines: redefining
> contexts. In your solution you split the topmost layout objects  from the
> staff context in two different contexts and create another -the bottom one-.
> In my solution, I redefine the staff context to address separately the one
> located at the top, the one(s) in the middle, and the bottom one.

Yes, but in my solution:
1. You can simply switch any staff position without having to change its type.
2. You can include any type of context (e.g., RhythmicStaff, DrumStaff, etc.)
without having to create associated Top*Staff and Bottom*Staff contexts.

> It is clear also that to achieve a simpler solution Lilypond would need the
> ability (perhaps it already has the feature; I don't know) to identify if a
> particular staff is at the top, the bottom or "in the middle" of a particular
> group context (Staff group in this case, but also Score, Piano staff,
> ChoirStaff, whatever) and be able to modify it's properties in an individual
> way.

Yes, that would certainly help!

Cheers,
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.