> The documentation clearly states:
>
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/extending/markup-command-definition-syntax>
>
>    Arguments are distinguished according to their type:
>    • a markup, corresponding to type predicate ‘markup?’;
>    • a list of markups, corresponding to type predicate
>      ‘markup-list?’;
>    • any other scheme object, corresponding to type predicates such
>      as ‘list?’, ‘number?’, ‘boolean?’, etc.
>
> You use a predicate other than markup? or markup-list?, so this
> counts as any other scheme object.

OK.

> The real question is what you actually are trying to achieve here.

I want to write a user-friendly markup command that can accept either
a markup or a markup list as arguments.  Example:

```
% \ornament <above-stack> <base> <below-stack>
\markup \ornament \number ♭
                  \musicglyph "scripts.turn"
                  \number ♮
\markup \ornament { \number ♭ \number ♭ }
                  \musicglyph "scripts.turn"
                  \number ♮
```

    Werner