On 04/07/2024 09:57, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le jeudi 04 juillet 2024 à 08:09 +0100, Raphael Mankin a écrit :
I already use these, but they are incomplete.

Thanks to all who replied; I obviously struck a nerve, and i10n is still
an issue in spite of utf8.

I beg to differ. IMHO, entering special characters is an OS-level problem;
providing tools for this isn't the job of applications (unless there are
particular reasons that an application needs some specific characters
a lot, e.g., math characters in TeX/Typst/proof assistants, but this isn't
really the case with LilyPond).

It is partly an OS problem, but also that no common keyboard (or keyboard layout) contains the complete set of Latin characters. I also have an occasional need for non-Latin alphabets, but that is a separate issue.

So yes, a modern OS handles it, but the input devices that are generally available are not best designed for multi-lingual input. I suppose that I could go for a programmable kbd that redraws the keycaps when I press one of the shifting keys. More research to be done on the currently available keyboards....