On 04/07/2024 16:48, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le jeudi 04 juillet 2024 à 15:21 +0100, Raphael Mankin a écrit :

Anyhow, I persist in my opinion that facilitating the input of accented
characters is best done at a level different than LilyPond.

I don't disagree with you. Using a compose key is all very well for a small set, but the memory load of remembering al the compose sequences is another matter, particularly for relatively infrequent use.

The question is what is the most ergonomic way of solving the problem: special keyboards? Years ago I saw a typewriter with two keyboards, one ordinary one, and one for mathematical symbols. Nowadays we can have programmable keycap symbols that can change as we press shift/alt/compose. That may be a way to go - relatively cheap and can be handled at the OS level.