1) I don´t know, but I´m interested, too!

Ok, hope others will chime in, then.
If I see well, it's note very simple.
Chord names are written as markups. The markup is generated by a scheme function. So if you want to override this, you either need to override this scheme function or write the chord name as a markup string yourself. I think overwriting this scheme function actually seems to be easy. According to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-chords#Displaying-chords if you set "chordRootNamer" a function that simply returns "-" you've done it.
So I suppose using
\set chordRootNamer = #(lambda (x) ("-")) or something like that (I'm not sure about the syntax), then \unset chordRootNamer would do the trick.

Bert