  From: Éditions IN NOMINE
  To: Lilypond User
  Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:47 PM
  Subject: tablature characters alignment

  Hi list.

  I'm dealing with tablature these days ( >:o  or :-)  ?) and lots of spacing
stuff...

  When you run this piece of code :

  \version "2.13"
  #(set-global-staff-size 24)
  jenkinsI = #'(2 -3 -7 -10 -14 -19) %jenkins' scordatura
  \layout {
         \context {
        \TabStaff
        \override TabNoteHead   #'extra-offset = #'(0 . .5)%letters above the
line
        }

        \context {%pas d'indication de rythme
        \TabVoice
        \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
        \override Beam #'transparent = ##t
        \override Dots #'transparent = ##t
        \override TabNoteHead #'font-name = #'"Adobe Garamond Pro Regular"
%font is for no effect on the thing I want to show you
        \override TabNoteHead #'whiteout = ##f
  %%%%%%
  notes = \relative c {\time 3/2
  %figures
  f,4\6 bes\5 d\4 f\3 a\2 d\1 fis,,\6 b\5 dis\4 fis\3 bes\2 dis\1 g,,\6 c\5 e\4
g\3 b\2 e\1
  %letters
  \set tablatureFormat = #fret-letter-tablature-format
  f,,4\6 bes\5 d\4 f\3 a\2 d\1 fis,,\6 b\5 dis\4 fis\3 bes\2 dis\1 g,,\6 c\5
e\4 g\3 b\2 e\1
  }
  %%%%%
  \score{
  \new TabStaff {\set TabStaff.stringTunings = #jenkinsI \notes}
  \layout{}
  }

  you can notice that if all the figures are well aligned, it is not the same
with letters. little letters (a, c, e...) do align just above the line, as I
want. But the long ones (b, d, f, g, h, k, l, ...) are a bit lower on the line.
I think that's because Lily refers to the middle line of a character, and not
to the base line, so that longer letters appear lower.

  If it is so, my question is : which trick could make all the letters align on
the same line ?

  I hope someone will have an answer to this pb !

  Bes regards.

  JMarc