Hi David,

2011/9/23 David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com>

> Hi Harm,
>
> Unfortunately, I can't!  When I run the ,ly file exactly as you send it, I
> don't get the same problem with the red line: it's centered between LeftEdge
> and BarLine.  I get the same result in 2.14.2 and 2.15.8.  I can't duplicate
> the problem you're seeing no matter how I comment the file.
>
> The fact that the red line appears below the note means it hasn't been
> moved at all (there would have been an error instead in the first version of
> the function).  The function thinks that either (a) one or both of the grobs
> you want to use to center the red line aren't there (in this case, LeftEdge
> and BarLine); or (b) they don't appear in a left-to-right order.  I can't
> see how either of these situations would apply here -- no matter what you
> comment in or out.
>
> I've attached a file with an addition for testing which will display a
> message on the console if the function rejects any of the input.  It will
> tell you if both grobs are present in the system, and if so, which one isn't
> suitable to use for alignment.

Running centerGrobBetween_rev2.ly the log states:

Failure to center #<Grob TextScript > between LeftEdge and BarLine
Present in system? LeftEdge #t  BarLine #t
left bound: #<Grob LeftEdge >  right bound: #f
Failure to center #<Grob TextScript > between LeftEdge and BarLine
Present in system? LeftEdge #t  BarLine #t
left bound: #<Grob LeftEdge >  right bound: #f

> In the second score the
>> second voice seems to override the settings of the first.
>>

> This is because it has decided that the stems in the other voice are
> closer.  I really don't know how to fix this :(

Neither can I.

If there were some way to add a tag to a grob (not just a music expression),
> this would all be much simpler.  Something like this:
>
> \once \override Stem #'tag = #"hello"
>
> Then, you could add the same tag to another grob, and center the TextScript
> (or whatever) between the two grobs having the tag "hello".  There would
> never be any "wrong decisions" on the part of the function.  Is such a thing
> possible?   I think this could be a very useful program feature.

This is far beyond my knowledge I can't see any light in the darkness ;)

> Anyway, thank you for all the work you've put into testing this!
>
> Best,
> David

You're very welcome!

Cheers,