Thomas,

Thanks so much. That got me about 90% of the way there, but playing around with
what you did got me the other 10% of the way there, so that does it. What was
missing for me was the  "\once \override Staff.BarLine #'allow-span-bar = ##f",
which was obvious in its intent, but which my previous searches had not
discovered.

The *1/2 bit I also wasn't familiar with, but it solves things and it looks
like I can use it many other places in the score where I find that Lilypond is
being too literal in its mapping of note duration to physical length. So I get
an added benefit from your explanation :-)

Best,

Arle