On 02/18/2013 03:17 AM, Luca Rossetto Casel wrote:
Yes, in most cases brackets are indeed unnecessary. But I know some
over-accurate editions that aim to reproduce the original text as faithfully as
possible, giving evidence to every critical intervention - for example, the
Ricordi critical edition of Verdi's works.

Well, Ricordi have a karma debt to pay after some of the very unfaithful editions they produced in the last century ... ;-)

Generally I think it's a good thing to be as clear as possible about editorial interventions, but I'm not sure that modernizing the _style_ of accidental placement really counts as an "intervention" in that sense.