On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:27:44AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> I don't see anything here that would warrant separate voices.  Just use
>
> \new Voice << \tromboneOne \tromboneTwo >>
>
> in order to put both into the same voice and be finished.

Thanks for this tip, and also to Xavier for mentioning
\partcombine.  It simplified the code nicely.

I modified the combined trombone score to show all four parts
on one staff.

The code looks much cleaner now.  The only two non-default
settings are an increase in the left margin, and a setting to
make all systems use the full width of the page.

Jim

\version "2.16.0"

\include "english.ly"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##f
  left-margin = #20
}

keyClefTime = {
  \clef treble
  \key g \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4
}

hornA = \relative c'' {

  c2 c b b
  \bar "|."

} % hornA

hornB = \relative c' {

  e2 fs! fs! e
  \bar "|."

} % hornB

hornC = \relative c'' {

  g2 a g g
  \bar "|."

} % hornC

hornD = \relative c' {

  c2 d d d
  \bar "|."

} % hornD

% these are the individual parts

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"1st Horn" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \hornA
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"2nd Horn" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \hornB
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"3rd Horn" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \hornC
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"4th Horn" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \hornD
  } % staff
} % score

\score {  % this is the combined score, four horns on two staves
  <<
    \new StaffGroup \with { instrumentName = #"4 Horns in F" } {
      <<
        \new Staff {
          \keyClefTime
	  << \hornA \hornB >>
        } % Staff
        \new Staff {
          \keyClefTime
	  << \hornC \hornD >>
        } % Staff

    } % StaffGroup

} % score

% same thing, for a trombone choir:

keyClefTime = {
  \clef bass
  \key c \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4
}

tromA = \transpose c f, \hornA
tromB = \transpose c f, \hornC	% swap the inner voices when
tromC = \transpose c f, \hornB	% transposing for trombone
tromD = \transpose c f, \hornD

\score {  % this is the combined score, four trombones on one staff
  <<
    \new StaffGroup \with { instrumentName = #"4 Trombones" } {
      <<
        \new Staff {
          \keyClefTime
          << \tromA \tromB \tromC \tromD >>
        } % Staff

    } % StaffGroup

} % score

% these are the individual parts

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"1st Trom" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \clef tenor
    \tromA
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"1st Trom" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \tromA
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"2nd Trom" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \tromB
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"3rd Trom" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \tromC
  } % staff
} % score

\score {
  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = #"4th Trom" } {
    \keyClefTime
    \tromD
  } % staff
} % score