Am 23.04.2013 17:37, schrieb David Nalesnik:

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Urs Liska <u...@openlilylib.org <mailto:u...@openlilylib.org>> wrote:

    Am 23.04.2013 17:25, schrieb Richard Shann:

        On Tue, 2013-04-23 at 17:16 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:

[...]

            But of course, setting the control points directly is
            really problematic.

        I guess the trouble comes when you change the music, right?

    Yes. With hardcoding the control points the slur will have the
    same shape regardless of the musical context. With \shape you
    define some overrides to Lily's own decision. And there is quite
    some chance (but no guarantee) that it will still work if the
    music changes.

Right--no guarantees, but you won't face the prospect of the right end of your tweaked slur becoming detached from its notehead when the spacing changes.
Although I'm mostly in favour of 'spectacular' bugs you don't overlook so easily ...
Urs

--David