2013/11/7 Garrett McGilvray <garrett.mcgilv...@icloud.com>:
[...]
> I do have Mac OS 10.9, which apparently was causing problems earlier, but
> that was since reported as fixed.

I understand that you upgraded from a previous version of Mac OS X;
did you follow the instructions at
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration?

[...]
> Error: org.macports.activate for port py27-python-poppler-qt4 returned: can't
> create directory
> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/python_poppler_qt4-0.16.3-py2.7.egg-info":
>  file already exists

The problem is that when you manually installed python-poppler-qt4
following Philippe's instructions some files were written inside
MacPorts' directory tree; I don't know why MacPorts is not able to
overwrite them even with the `-f` option.

Can you please send me this file?
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_python_py-python-poppler-qt4/py27-python-poppler-qt4/main.log

You can send it to me privately, so we don't clutter the list.
We'll get beck to the list with the solution when we have one.

Best wishes.
Davide