> Indeed, I have found that on Mac OS X, the system is very picky
> about what it sees and doesn't see.  For instance, I use the
> SkyFonts program to install fonts from the Google Fonts site.
> Apparently, it doesn't install them as system fonts, so if I want to
> use them in LilyPond (and PT Sans Narrow, one of the fonts in that
> collection, is the font I currently use for LilyPond), I have to go
> ahead and download the ZIP file and install them through FontBook,
> but almost every other program I use has no issue with it.  I think
> Inkscape might be picky as well, but I don't do enough stuff with
> those fonts in that program to remember.

Hmm.  The function `ly:font-config-display-fonts' (available via the
`-dshow-available-fonts' command line option of lilypond) shows
exactly which directories lilypond's fontconfig is looking into,
besides a list of fonts it recognizes.  It also lists the
configuration files together with the directories fontconfig is
searching for configuration files.  Doesn't this work as expected?

    Werner