On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM, David Nalesnik <david.nales...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Brian Barker <b.m.bar...@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> At 16:07 11/07/2014 +0006, Abraham Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe just me, but I don't really like the look of that. I see the stems
>>> are equidistant, but, at least to me, I feel like it's not balanced and it
>>> makes the notehead spacing a little awkward... I'd still rather see the
>>> default behavior. But we all can have our preferences :) Not sure if either
>>> is "correct".
>>>

>> For what it's worth, Elaine Gould agrees, saying (on p. 41);
>>
>>> In certain cases, spacing should be adjusted to create an illusion of
>>> evenness. Adjacent stems 'back to back' can otherwise look too close
>>> together. Notes with stems away from each other can look too far apart.
>>>

>> Brian Barker
>>

> In the attached example, the unevenness of stem placement is very
> apparent.  As I remember it (have to dig up an old manual), the SCORE
> option was a correction for this sort of situation.

Found the manual.  The "STUD" command.  It mentions that engravers
typically make stems equidistant in cross-staff beaming situations because
the eye tends to notice the uneveness at the beam in the middle.

The attached illustrates what happens with equidistant notes.

--David
\version "2.18.2"

\paper {
  tagline = ##f
}

up = \change Staff = "up"
down = \change Staff = "down"

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \relative c' {
        c16[ c c c c c c c]
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "up" {
        \time 2/4
        s2
      }
      \new Staff = "down" {
        \clef bass
        \override Beam.auto-knee-gap = 1
        c16[
        \up
        c''
        g'''
        \down
        \up
        c''
        \down
        c c
        \up
        c'']
      }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/16)
      \override SpacingSpanner.uniform-stretching = ##t