> Thanks for the suggestion - I was actually aware of the use of \shape to
> adjust the slur, but hadn't implemented it since I thought it more sensible
> (perhaps naively) to get all the notes in place and then adjust the slurs
> at the end of the process.

I think that adjusting the slur at the end of the process is a good idea.

> However, for me introducing this doesn't fix the problem.  I still get the
> same error when I use the following code:

The problem  is the way you use \hideNotes. If you comment those two lines
the file compiles fine.
I don't know why you use it this way, that's why I showed you a working
example of a bend and release followed by a pull-off. Can you describe how
you'd like the output to look like?

>     \bendOff
>     c16 ( \hideNotes \grace d ) \unHideNotes
>     \bendOn d ( e ) g \bendGrace \preBendHold d ( e ) ( d )

You start a slur, then you hide the closing slur, then you start a bend.
What does it mean?