>> So it looks like LilyPond wants to merge the rests,
>> but will do this only if they seem identical.
>>

>> Having read through the regression snippet
>> and been inspired by the way it removes things,
>> we can modify bgr to make it remove rests:
>>
>> bgr = #(define-music-function (parser location music) (ly:music?)
>>   (music-map (lambda (mus)
>>     (if (music-is-of-type? mus 'rest-event)
>>       (make-music 'SkipEvent mus)
>>       #{
>>         \tweak NoteHead.font-size #-2
>>         \tweak Accidental.font-size #-2
>>         #mus
>>       #}))
>>     music ))
>>
>> Note A: found 'rest-event in the Internals Reference
>> Note B: renamed your parameter to not imply just "note"
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>

> Thanks again, Robin, this helps a lot!
>
> The next time I dive into Scheming I might be getting further by myself
> before I have to ask on the list. :)

Nope, I didn’t really and have to ask again, sorry …

I now wanted to improve the function to also skip MultiMeasureRests and
first tried replacing 'rest-event with 'multi-measure-rest-event to see if
that would work, which it doesn’t. I searched a lot for other examples
where something similar might appear, but I couldn’t find anything, so I’m
(again) rather clueless.
Do I need to replace something else? Do MultiMeasureRests require another
approach? Or is it not possible with them?

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de