Hi Werner,

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> wrote:

> >> If it's convenient, have a look at the attached patch/sketch.  It
> >> adds a property, minimum-length-left-broken, which lets you adjust
> >> broken bits that start a line.
> >
> > Excellent!  What an improvement with just a few lines of code!
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> Now that the change is in the repository, I've recompiled lilypond to
> try it out with real-world code.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work as
> expected.  Consider this snippet (together with the attached image).
>
>   \paper {
>     line-width = 50\mm
>   }
>

>   \relative c'' {
>     <bes des e g>1 ~ \break q \break
>
>     \once\override Tie.minimum-length-after-break = 10
>     <bes des e g>1 ~ \break q \break
>
>     \time 4/4 <bes des e g>1 ~ \break \time 3/4 q2. \break
>
>     \once\override Tie.minimum-length-after-break = 10
>     \time 4/4 <bes des e g>1 ~ \break \time 3/4 q2. \break
>   }
>
> In bar 2 you can see the effect of `minimum-length-after-break'.

You mean bar 4--bar 2 is the default.

> However, in bar 8, nothing changes!  Value 10 is obviously too small
> to get an effect if the line starts with a time signature – it seems
> that the horizontal space of the time signature must be taken into
> account also.
>
> Any chance to fix this?  BTW, if you compare bar 2 with bar 6, you see
> exactly the opposite effect w.r.t. the default tie length: with a time
> signature the tie looks OK but without it is far too short...

 If you change 'minimum-length-after-break to 'minimum-length, you'll get
exactly the same result with the second half of each tied chord.  This
isn't a problem with the patch, as I changed nothing relating to the
reference points from which the distances are reckoned.

>From your analysis it appear that LilyPond is taking the entire
NonMusicalPaperColumn into account rather than just the right extent.  I'll
have a look.  (This could be major!)

--David