Eran Meir wrote:
only the remote server is obviously the cable vpn server you're connecting to.
As for hardware setup, it depends whether you have a USB modem or one connected
through a NIC.
NIC.

As for NIC, you need to set it up to get an IP address from a DHCP
server (which is the cables-co dhcp, but I don't think it requires any special
settings).
Yes, that's exactly what I do nowadays. And it would have continued to works perfectly unless Internet-Zahav had decided to pull their little stunt. In fact, in my earlier phone conversations it was hinted that all ISPs will eventually allow access only by tunneling.

In addition there may be some route changes needed etc etc
Thanks, that's a good tip, but if I get to the point where _those_ are my problems, I'll be a happy man...

Actually, I heard a rumor of the VPN type being different than with
ADSL: LT2P instead of PPTP. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

It depends what VPN server your ISP is using. NV were starting off with pptp but
were (are?) in the process of moving to l2tp.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/l2tpd  is "A Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol VPN
client/daemon for Linux and other POSIX-based OSs."
Have downloaded & installed l2tpd. I am able to connect to IZahav's l2tp gateway (do they call it a gateway?); I then order my l2tpd to start a connection, and it starts a pppd which says:

"The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
(None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address.)"

I have about zero PPP exeprience on Linux, but I will try and appease the angry daemon.

Eyal

P.S. - I had another phone conversation with tech support; the woman was not very clear about it, but I think she was telling me they support both l2tp and something else, for older windows systems; I'll be checking out the configuration walkthrough at www.cables.org.il to see what's up with that.