On Wed, Jan 19, 2011, James Westby wrote:
> Right, but what would they do? That's my point.
>
> If you really want to push Andoid in to v2 then we can write code to
> identify/specify image type, then defer Android/linux_image combination
> with a specific error message.
>
> The point of a format specifier is such that l-i-t won't try to act on
> things that are added after that version was released. If the old code
> won't do the wrong thing then we don't need a format bump.

 That's exactly my point: have the next version of the code try to do
 the right thing.  Maybe I actually have broken expectations: I expect
 l-i-t would reject hwpacks with unknown fields.  That's the failure
 I'm trying to avoid if we know we're going to introduce a linux_image
 field and that it can be safely ignored.

 It's a bit like when Debian introduced Breaks, by adding support to
 dpkg to simply treat the field in a dumb way, and then adding full
 support the next cycle, as to allow using old dpkg for upgrades.

--
Loïc Minier