On 20 January 2011 05:15, Scott Bambrough <scott.bambro...@linaro.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 15:02 -0600, James Westby wrote:
>
> > An illustration of what I mean: if we add linux_image and ignore it, and
> > then use it within Android hwpacks, someone with the old code will try
> > and use one of those new hwpacks, and get an unbootable Android
> > image. When that happens someone will say "we should have the tool warn
> > people when it can't do what they ask", which we could have done now
> > with a format bump, or by having a more complete plan than "ignore the
> > field".
>
> I have to jump in here.  Hardware packs for Android or ChromeOS seem
> ridiculous to me.  If we want to be accepted by mainstream developers
> for these OS, then we need to conform to the accepted norm for that
> community.  Imposing hardware packs in these two projects is just likely
> to get our efforts ignored.
>
> Scott

I agree with Scott.

There is no such thing in Android. The Android build system creates a number
of images. A boot image (depending of configuration), a system image and a
user data image. A hardware pack would probably be a subset of the boot and
system image. It would be hard to introduce a hardware pack for Android
without doing major changes. We should not fork Android and become a new
Android distribution. We should try to be as close to AOSP as possible.

 /Patrik