On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:56:27 +1300, Michael Hope <michael.h...@linaro.org>
wrote:
> We currently use a feature branch / merge request / merge / test /
> push approach in gcc-linaro.  This works fine for a reasonable cost
> but can mean that patches sit unreviewed and unmerged for up to a
> month.  Ramana, Andrew, and I had a talk about this earlier in the
> week and I've written up the ideas here:
>   https://wiki.linaro.org/MichaelHope/Sandbox/ReviewThoughts

Hi Michael,

One thing that isn't clear to me from that page is why patches can go
unreviewed for days. Do you tie the review to the testing somehow?

The proposal to have a designated person who will review patches
promptly is one that has seen success in other projects. It trades off
prompt reviews for more interuptions in someone's time, but it seems
like that is often worth doing.

Some further questions:

  * How frequently do problems get through review that are found by the
    test suite?
  * How frequently do problems get past the testsuite?
  * Would you be confident in your ability to have quality releases if
    there wasn't a testsuite run of each change before it lands in
    trunk?

Thanks,

James