Ken,

On 05/06/2011 10:25 AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 17:06 +0200, Ken Werner wrote:
Hi,

We've been thinking about adding support for the built-in functions for 64bit
atomic memory access and I'd like to know if this is of any interest.
Currently the main use of these functions seems to be to implement (SMP safe)
locking mechanisms where the existent 32bit memory ops are sufficient.
However, there might be code out there that implements a parallel algorithm
using 64bit atomic memory operations.

I've been told (though I've not verified it) that the Membase NoSQL
database needs 64-bit atomic operations to work effectively
(http://www.membase.org/downloadsrc)

By work effectively, that means they are needed to get membase to build and run. Without gcc support you have to copy the routines out of the kernel and link them with membase.

Rob