On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pi...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2011, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:
>
>> On 6 May 2011 16:06, Ken Werner <ken.wer...@linaro.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Currently the GCC ARM backend doesn't provide a pattern to inline 64bit
>> > __sync_* functions but the compiler emits __sync_*_8 function calls [1].
>> > The
>> > libgcc does not provide these symbols via the usual thin wrapper around the
>> > kernel helper [2] because the ARM Linux __kernel_cmpxchg supports 32bit
>> > only.
>> > My understanding is that for ARMv7 the GCC backend could be enhanced to
>> > inline
>> > the __sync_* functions by using the LDREXD and STREXD instructions. But for
>> > ARMv5 we would still rely on a new kernel helper.
>>
>> It's a bit tricky with when you want to use the kernel helper for v5t,
>> so we've got to find a way of turning this on only with special knobs
>> and not by default and that's a bit tricky.
>
> What is the problem with v5t?
>
>> Think new user space and old kernel and a jump into never-never land.
>
> The kernel helpers are "versioned".  At 0xffff0ffc you can read the
> number of helpers currently available.  If a program uses a new helper
> then when it is started this value can be verified to equal or exceed
> the expected value and bail out otherwise.

To what extent do we think that userspace code is actually checking this?

I may suggest a patch to the documentation text in entry-armv.S to
make this requirement clearer, as well as getting rid of the example
assembler code (which I consider to be mis-educative, but more
importantly it's also Thumb-incompatible and will likely suffer poor
branch-prediction on recent CPUs.  This code was the source of a TLS
bug in bionic, and may have been inappropriately pasted elsewhere
too...)

Cheers
---Dave